Nights were quite cold compared to the days. This aspect of the jungle wasn’t so different from the (“deep”) desert. On the other hand, days felt colder than they should feel like according to the temperature showing on the thermometers what was exactly opposite to the weather on the desert.

I slept in a Coolmax linen that I found handy whenever I traveled to destinations where was warm. Thin material gave me comfort being wrapped in something (clean, mine) without a feeling of overheating. It didn’t cross my mind to take a sleeping bag with me to a tropical place.

In the darkness, I got off my bed, put a sweater on, and climbed back on my bed. After a while, I stood up, turned lights on and tried to fix a crooked mosquito net clumsily attached to the ceiling. The net just hanged down instead of creating sort of a tent around the bed, which supposed to protect from mosquitoes. Once a satisfying effect has been achieved I came back to sleep.

A familiar but strange sound woke me up in the middle of the night. Heavy drops hit the metal surface of the rooftop multiplying impression of rain. Nocturnal animals made their noises, a bit creepy but also surprisingly calming. After a while of listening sounds of the jungle, I fell asleep again, to wake up after a while. This time I blamed jet lag though.

I got up and quietly sneak out from the bedroom taking with me my working clothes. Work started at 7 so I had plenty of time to get myself ready.

The routine

Every week the administrator of the center prepares a weekly schedule for the staff and volunteers. During morning Monday meeting with the founder and the rangers who patrol Selva Viva, and during these meetings present their observations, volunteers could make themselves familiar with the plan, tasks, and additional responsibilities. The schedule of the week was also easily accessible in the volunteer’s kitchen, office, and Bodega (a wooden hut where food for the animals was prepared and distributed from).

Every morning all volunteers gather in Bodega to check sacks of bananas (oritos and plantains) whether fruits were ripe or still green. Yellow – ripe, ones were removed from sacks and placed in boxes to end up in animal stomachs.

After that everyone carried on with assigned duty…

Hey, ladies and gents! Do you know what? I love this story so much that I decided to write it down in one piece and publish as an actual short novel.

I’ll let you know as soon as it happens. You can also follow me on Instagram (annadaleki) if you wanna keep your fingers on the pulse.

Meanwhile, stay tuned and have a really great one! ?? 


2 Comments · August 6, 2019 at 10:56 am

This is also the home of the San bushmen, who still know how to hunt, find water, build shelters and make fires in the desert in traditional ways that have been passed down across the generations from long before the Internet was a twinkle in the creator’s eye. A nature walk with the bushmen across the Pans is a fantastic experience.

Garfield Yaple · March 6, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Good luck for the next!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *